Share This Page

City GuideMuseums

Anatolian Civilizations Museum

State Art And Sculpture Museum

Ethnography Museum 

anatolian1.jpg state.jpg etnografya.jpg

The museum is within Atpazarı district on the southeast of Ankara castle. Atatürk ordered for opening this museum so that the relics of Hittites are exhibited. Kurflunlu Han and Mahmut Pafla Bedesteni which are structures of Ottoman Empire were renovated and turned into museum. The renovations which started in 1938 completed in 1968 and the building was opened as Ankara Archaeological Museum

Ordered by Atatürk, it was designed by architect Arif Hikmet Koyuno¤lu and was constructed in 1927. Having been renovated and put into service again in 1980, this museum became a museum which served all the functions and services which are required for a contemporary museum.

The construction of Ethnography Museum was started in 1925 by Architect Arif Hikmet Koyuno¤lu and it was completed in 1927 and it was opened for people to visit upon the order of Atatürk. The garden of the museum was used as a temporary Memorial Tomb of Atatürk for 15 years as from 21 November 1938, and that place where Atatürk’s tomb is reserved as a
symbol today. Atatük’s sculpture showing him riding a horse, which is made of bronze and which was made by Italian sculpture Cannonica in 1927 stands in front of the museum.

Republic Museum (II. Building Grand National Assembly of Turkey)

 Gordium Museum And Ruins

Roman Bath Open-Air Museum

museum1.jpg museum2.jpg museum3.jpg
The building of Republic Museum was designed by architect Vedat Tek as the building of Republican Party and it was constructed in 1924. The Republic of Turkey was proclaimed in today’s Independence War Museum and this building served as the first building Grand National Assembly of Turkey. Gordium Museum which was constructed over approximately 15,000 m2 in 1963 includes potteries of Early Bronze Age, Middle Bronze Age, Late Bronze Age and Early Phrygian Age and embossed orthostats and iron tools of Early Phrygian Age. Roman Bath ruins is on Ulus Çankırı Street it is on the west of the street in a plate whose height is 2,5 m. The excavations were started in 1938 and the relics of Phrygians, Roman and Byzantine were found out. This marvellous work which has been made as a result of the excavations made between 1940-1943 consists of two divisions, bath and palaestra. Based o the coins which were found out in the excavations, the head of the excavation team stated that the bath belongs to Caracalla (212-217 A.D) period.